Bigtime YouTuber says enough is enough; he won’t do any more Nintendo videos (Update)

A prominent video gaming YouTuber has had enough of Nintendo, following a copyright claim against a recently published video in which he plays and discusses Mario Party 10.

“Angry Joe” Vargas, who counts nearly 2 million subscribers and more than 300 million views in his nearly seven-year career, last night tweeted that “Angry Joe Plays Mario Party 10!” had been flagged for showing material copyrighted by Nintendo.

While the video remained viewable, per YouTube’s automated content flagging procedures, Vargas’ channel would be unable to collect advertising revenue from it. Rather than contest the claim, it appears Vargas simply chose to take it down.

I hope @NintendoAmerica enjoyed the free ad revenue & coverage I generated for em. It will be my last Nintendo video. pic.twitter.com/07797eA7W4

— Joe Vargas (@AngryJoeShow) April 4, 2015

He went on to say he’d spent more than $900 on Nintendo hardware he uses in his videos but, “They need to monetize when I share my play sessions.”

Recently, Nintendo implemented the beta version of a “Creator’s Program” with tight guidelines on how Let’s Play videos of its games can be broadcast. While YouTubers can still realize ad revenue under the program, Nintendo takes a 40 percent cut of it.

Among the restrictions that approved Creators Program channels face is that only games on this whitelist are approved for use. Mario Party 10 is not among them.

That said, it’s not clear if the copyright claim against Vargas related to the Creators Program or not, as the program is still in a beta and will not be launched fully until May 27. Mario Party 10 launched March 20.

Vargas was one of many notable YouTubers who blasted Nintendo for the Creators Program after it was announced in January.

A member of the Polaris multichannel network (MCN), Vargas also was among those most outspoken against new YouTube policies implemented in late 2013 that no longer shielded some MCN video publishers from YouTube’s automated content-flagging system.

Apparently he’s had enough. We’ve reached out to both Vargas and Nintendo of America for additional comment.

Update: Vargas has actually published another Nintendo video — sort of. This, he says, is his absolute final one about the company, and it’s a rant about this controversy and Nintendo’s policies. “I feel their policies are anti-YouTuber in a world where so many other companies are embracing the YouTube community,” Vargas said in an email to Polygon.